Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Donut Heads of the Caribbean

A quick survey of antique Dutch samplers will make it clear that Dutch stitchers were very fond of the little ringlet element (a backstitched circle with a square in it, all neatly fitting into a 3 by 3 stitch area). They used it to make very decorative alphabets by plastering a series of them on all sides the letters (the Friesian sampler stitchers raised this technique to a national art form). They used ringlets to make various geometric designs. Here is a lovely example of a Dutch sampler using ringlets in various ways. (BTW, this wonderful sampler is by Diane Jourdan of Sampler Cove and is available in this month's Gift of Stitching magazine - well worth subscribing to.)

The Dutch also used these little donuts as HEADS. Although donut-headed people are sometimes shown as farmers, windmill-tenders, and what not, the most common occupation for a donut-head was the sailer. I do not know why.

Every Dutch sampler needs at least one ship, so here she is, complete with seven donut-heads. During the design phase, I was unsure what tragedy was to befall my ship - iceberg? sandbar? capsized? pirates (try making a jolly roger that small! And eye-patches over what - the donut hole?) As you can see, my question was answered when one of the poor donut-heads fell overboard. Eyewitness reports vary as to whether the cause was too much rum or clumsy heroism as the mate attempted to get the doggy down from the rigging.

BTW, boys, your anchor has gotten aweigh.

5 comments:

Karen said...

"... anchor has gotten aweigh."

Tracy, you kill me! People in the offices around me want to know just what the hell is so funny - they would never understand :)

Paule said...

How imaginative!!I nearly died laughing!! Not talking of your comments!!...I'm stitching a dutch sampler, and can't look at it the same way since I read you!

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I have several of your designs and have the feeling there will be more in my future. I love a good satire and will enjoy your tutorial into the inner workings of the Dutch Sampler.
Awaiting your next post with my dutched cocoa in hand
MaryAnn

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I love the little sharks!

Anonymous said...

Oh Tracy, I love the Dutch Beast thus far. I can't wait for this design to be completed so I can get the chart. How cool to have a sampler that at first glance looks very traditional but only stitchers will understand or appreciate. LOL